1. Choose the correct option a or b. Then check your answers in the text on page 38. 2. Study the sentences in exercise 1. Then choose the correct words in the Rules. 3. Order the words to make sentences and questions. 4. PRONUNCIATION - Rhythm and intonation. 5. Read the Study Strategy. Follow instructions 1–3. 6. Complete the text with the past simple form of the verbs in brackets. 7. USE IT! Work in pairs. Ask and answer about your recent past events.
THINK! Say three things you did last weekend. Did you have fun? 1. Choose the correct words in the dialogue. Then watch or listen and check. What did Mark do? Did Sarah have a good weekend? 2. Cover the dialogue and complete the Key Phrases. Watch or listen again and check. 3. Practise the dialogue with your partner. 4. Cover the dialogue and the Key Phrases. Complete the mini-dialogues. Listen and check. Practise them with your partner. 5. USE IT! Work in pairs. Read the situation. Practise
THINK! What special days or events do you celebrate with your friends and family? 1. Read the text. Why did Jack’s parents have a party? Who did not enjoy the party? 2. Complete the Key Phrases with words from the text. 3. Read the text again and find the sequencing words. 4. Look at the sequencing words in bold and put sentences A–E in the correct order. Which word describes the beginning of an event, and which word describes the end? 5. USE IT! Follow the steps in the Writing Guide. Ask and
1. Check the meaning of the words in the box. Then look at the pictures and answer the questions. 2. Read and listen to the text and check your answers to exercise 1. 3. Read the text again and answer the questions. 4. YOUR CULTURE - Choose a festival in your hometown / city. Then ask and answer the questions with your partner.
5. USE IT! Write a short description (35 – 50 words) of a festival in Việt Nam. Use your answers in exercise 4 to help you.
1. Use the code to find the first and last letters of adjectives about people and places. Write the adjectives, then match them with their opposites. 2. MEMORY GAME. Work in groups. Follow the instructions. 3. Complete the crossword with the past tense of the verbs in the ‘Across’ and ‘Down’ spaces. 4. TELLING A STORY. Work in teams. Follow the instructions.
THINK! You’re a time traveller. Where in a past time do you want to go? Why? 1. Read Jade’s time travel diary. Choose the correct verbs. Then listen and check. 2. Find the past forms of these verbs in the diary. Which verbs are irregular? Listen and check. 3. PRONUNCIATION- Regular past simple verbs - Listen and repeat the verbs. 4. Listen to eight more verbs and add them to the table in exercise 3. Practise saying them. 5. Listen to Jade’s time travel diary. Put pictures A–H in the correct ord
1. Complete the sentences with was, were, wasn’t and weren’t. Then check your answers in the text on page 36. 2. Look at the sentences in exercise 1. Then complete the Rules using the correct form of was and were. 3. Complete the sentences with was, were, wasn’t and weren’t.
4. Write questions and short answers for the sentences in exercise 3. 5. Choose the correct words. 6. Write sentences about an event in your town / city last year. Use There was and There were. Think about: 7. USE IT!
THINK! How many years are there in a century?
How many centuries are there in a millennium? 1. Look at A short history of the Millennium and complete the timeline with paragraphs A–E. 2. Complete the short history with the correct blue adjectives. Listen and check. 3. Think of people, places and events that you know in Việt Nam. Use the adjectives from the short history to describe them. 4. Read-People from the past. Find five adjectives from A short history of the Millennium. 5. Watch or list
THINK! Think of an exciting place and a boring place for a school trip.
(SUY NGHĨ! Nghĩ về một nơi thú vị và một nơi nhàm chán cho một chuyến đi chơi với trường.) 1. Look at the photos on this page. Answer the questions. Then read the reports and check your answers.
2. Read and listen to the reports. Complete the sentences with the information from the text. 3. VOCABULARY PLUS-Use a dictionary to check the meaning of the words in blue in the text. 4. USE IT! Work in pairs. Which of the museu