I. Listen and fill the gap with NO MORE THAN 3 WORDS.
1. The wildlife caretaker job on Kangaroo Island is for someone who loves all ________.
2. You’ll be able to talk to wallabies, play with dolphins, cuddle koalas and ________ with seals on the unspoiled beach at Seal Bay.
3. One potential drawback of this job is that you need to be pretty ________.
4. If you're not an outdoor person, the next job is for someone whose talents are in writing, ________ and making videos.
5. You’d also cover __________ in the whole state of Victoria.
II. Find the word which has a different sound in the underlined part.
6. A. explore B.environment C. resort D.expedition
7. A. overlooksB. beliefsC. towardsD. rights
8. A. athlete B. author C. lengthD. southern
III. Choose the word which has a different stress pattern from the others.
9. A. pancake B. canteen C. teaspoon D. cabbage
10. A. magnificence B. destination C. affordable D. accessible
11. A. commercial B. galaxy C. spacecraft D. telescope
12. A. object B. experiment C. private D. habitable
IV. Choose the best answer A, B, C or D to complete the sentences.
13. Beet greens are the most _________ part of the vegetable and can be cooked like any other dark leafy green.
A. traditional B. careful C. colourful D. nutritious
14. It is boring here. _________ ever happens in this place.
A. Anything B. Something C. Things D. Nothing
15. Sam will not graduate unless he ________ all the tests.
A. passes B. passed C. had passed D. pass
16. Can I have a pizza, a dozen eggs and a ________ of lemonade, please?
A. piece B. tub C. bottle D. jar
17. Parking is very difficult in _______ city centre, so my father always goes there by _______ bus.
A. the – x B. the – the C. a – a D. a – x
18. When she came _______, she found herself in hospital.
A. round B. off C. over D. out
19. Mike comes from a city _________ is located in the southern part of England.
A. when B. that C. where D. who
20. Pham Tuan said everything ______ quite strange although he _______ when he was on the ground.
A. was – had prepared B. had been – prepared
C. was – prepared D. was – has prepared
21. You should give up ________ or you will die of cancer.
A. smoke B. to smoke C. smoking D. smoked
V. Find the mistake among the underlined words or phrases.
22. If(A) you do not understand(B) what were written(C) in the book, you could ask(D) Mr. Pike.
23. Getting(A) enough sleep is(B) important in order(C)not fall(D) asleep is class.
VI. Give the correct form of the words in brackets.
24. He has completed three English courses at this center, but there hasn’t been any ________ in his English level. (improve)
25. People who are interested in exploring new things always want to take _________ trip. (adventure)
VII. Choose the correct answer to complete the passage.
An interview is never as (26) ________ as your fears. For some reasons, people imagine the interviewer is going to focus on every tiny mistake they make. In truth, the interviewer is as keen for the meeting to go well as you are. It is what makes his or her job (27) ________.
The secret of a good interview is preparing for it. What you wear is very important because it creates the first impression. So dress neatly, but comfortably. Make sure that you can deal with anything you are asked. Remember to prepare for questions that are certain to (28) ________ .
Answer the questions fully and precisely. For instance, if one of your interests is reading, be prepared to talk about the sort of books you like. However, do not learn all your answers off by (29) ________. The interviewer wants to meet a human being, not a robot. (30) ________ the fact that a job interview is so important, you should feel relaxed in order to succeed.
26. A. worse B. bad C. worst D. badly
27. A. enjoyable B. enjoyment C. enjoy D. enjoying
28. A. come over B. come in C. come to D. come up
29. A. heart B. hand C. brain D. memory
30. A. In spite B. Because C. Despite D. Nevertheless
VIII. Read the passage, and choose the correct answer A, B, C or D for each question.
Do you ever think about what schools will be like in the future? Many people think that students will study most regular classes such as maths, science and history online. Students will probably be able to these subjects anywhere using a computer. What will happen if students have problem with a subject? They might connect with a teacher through live videoconferencing. Expert teachers from learning centres will give students help wherever they live.
Students will still take classes in a school, too. Schools will become places for learning social skills. Teachers will guide students in learning how to work together in getting along with each other. They will help students with group projects both in and out of the classroom.
Volunteer work and working at local businesses will teach students important life skills about the world they live in. This will help students become an important part of their communities. Some experts say it will take five years for changes to begin in schools. Some say it will take longer. Most people agree, though, that computers will change education the way TVs and telephones changed life for people all over the world years before.
31. What is the main idea of the passage?
A. All classes will be taught online in the future.
B. Teachers will help students from home in the future.
C. Kids won’t have to go to school in the future.
D. Computers will change education in the future.
32. What will happen if students meet difficulties with a subject?
A. They will telephone the teachers who are staying at the school to seek their help.
B. Schools will organise a live videoconference for teachers to help students with problems.
C. Teachers from learning centres will give them help through live videoconferencing.
D. They will meet their teachers in person for help with problems with the subject.
33. The main role of teachers in the future will be ________.
A. helping students with group projects B. organising live videoconferences
C. providing students with knowledge D. guiding students to learn computers
34. Students will still go to school to ________.
A. play with their friends B. learn social skills
C. learn all subjects D. use computers
35. Students will learn important life skills through ________.
A. working in international businesses B. doing volunteer work
C. going to school every day D. taking online classes
IX. Rewrite the flowing sentences based on the given words.
36. I think you should spend at least 1 hour every day to practice speaking English in order to communicate fluently.
=> If I ______________________________________________.
37. This English course is very helpful for me. The course focuses on developing communicative skills. (that)
=> This English course ____________________________.
38. I haven’t decided to buy that expensive computer or not.
=> I am considering ______________________________.
39. Although Nam is very good with numbers, I still think that he is not suitable for a job as an accountant. (fact)
=> In spite __________________________________.
40. Natalie studied physics at the University of California. Then she became a staff writer for Live Science. (before)
=> Natalie __________________________________.
Lời giải chi tiết
1. kinds of animals
5. tourist activities
36. were you, I would spend at least 1 hour every day to practice speaking English in order to communicate fluently
37. that focuses on developing communicative skills is very helpful for me
38. buying that expensive computer
39. of the fact that Nam is very good with numbers, I still think that he is not suitable for a job as an accountant
40. had studied physics at the University of California before she became a staff writer for Live Science