I. Listen and decide if the following statements are True (T) or False (F).
1. The way we eat and how we behave when having meals reveal a lot about our personality.
2. If someone looks carefully at the menu and asks a waiter certain questions before ordering, they are attentive to details.
3. A person carefully looks through the menu always cares about getting to the end result.
4. If a person doesn’t even look at the menu and orders right away, they’re usually quite stubborn.
5. Someone ordering immediately without looking at the menu is good at adapting to new environments.
II. Find the word which has a different sound in the underlined part.
6.A. head B. spread C. cream D. bread
7.A. reasonable B. resort C. season D. excursion
8.A. practicedB. learnedC. askedD. watched
III. Choose the word which has a different stress pattern from the others.
9.A. significant B. diverse C. garnish D. combine
10.A. vacation B. delicious C. excursion D. holiday
11.A. simplicity B. American C. obedient D. flexible
12.A. office B. fluency C. accent D. official
IV. Choose the best answer A, B, C or D to complete the sentences.
13. If people work so much, they _________ depressed and eat more.
A. may feel B. may have felt C. felt D. had felt
14. There’s _______ use in complaining. They probably won’t do anything about it.
A. a few B. a little C. no D. some
15. Eight o’clock is _______ good time to phone Nick: he’s always at home in _______ evening.
A. x – the B. a – the C. a - x D. a – an
16. They could understand our conversation if they ________ some English.
A. will know B. know C. knew D. would know
17. Reading helps you learn vocabulary easily as you will _______ new words without even realizing it when you read.
A. face up B. look up C. pick up D. give up
18. In 2010, Naoko Yamazaki, the second female Japanese astronaut, ________ on Discovery space shuttle to the ISS after she _________ her training at the Johnson Space Center.
A. had flown – completed B. flew – had completed
C. flew – was completing D. was flying – was completing
19. The United Nations, _______ was established in 1945, has over 200 members.
A. which B. that C. what D. it
20. The national debt __________ in the near future.
A. will pay off B. will be paid off C. will pay D. will be paid
21. Although he did his best, he had to be _________ with the third place in the competition.
A. pleasing B. satisfying C. content D. pleasant
V. Use the correct form of the word given to complete each sentence.
22. We ________ gather our things and run to the bus stop. (hurry)
23. All over the world, all different cultures created interesting _______ meat products, and one of the most popular is undoubtedly sausage. (procession)
24. The essays _______ by Hans de Wit, who is the President of the EAIE. (assess)
25. _________ school teachers educate children between the ages of 11 and 18 in a national curriculum subject area. (second)
VI. Choose the word or phrase among A, B, C or D that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
How old (26) _______ you be on Friday 13, 2029? That is how old you will be when a large asteroid, called Apophis, comes very, very close to our planet. Asteroids are rocks that circle the sun in space and sometimes (27) ________ close to Earth and even hit it. Most asteroids are very small and, if you are lucky, you can sometimes see them in the night sky as ‘falling stars’. However, most scientists believe one large asteroid, about six to twelve kilometers across, (28) _______ the earth and killed all the dinosaurs about 65 million years ago. Apophis is also big. Scientists discovered it in 2004 and they say that it is about 300 meters across. That’s about the size of a large sports stadium. An asteroid this size, according to scientists, is (29) ______ large enough to destroy our world, but it is large enough to destroy several cities. It will probably miss the earth, they say, but not by very much – it will miss us by about only 35,000 kilometers – that’s much closer than our moon (30) _________ is about 240,000 kilometers away. Another way of thinking about it is that it will miss us by only a few minutes.
26.A. are B. will C. do D. can
27.A. came B. comes C. coming D. come
28.A. crash B. hit C. touched D. came over
29.A. no B. don’t C. isn’t D. not
30.A. which B. who C. whose D. in which
VII. Read the passage, and choose the correct answer A, B, C or D for each question.
Every year, students in many countries learn English. Some of these students are young children. Others are teenagers. Many are adults. Some learn at school, others study by themselves. A few learn English just by hearing the language in films, on television, in the office or among their friends. But not many are lucky enough to do that. Most people must work hard to learn another language.
Many boys and girls learn English at school because it is one of their subjects. They study their own language, mathematics, and English. In England, America, or Australia, many boys and girls study their native language, which is English, mathematics, and another language, perhaps French, or German or Spanish.
Many adults learn English because it is useful for their work. Teenagers often learn English for their higher studies, because some of their books are in English at college or university. Others learn English because they want to read newspapers or magazines in English.
31. Many adults learn English because _________.
A. most of their books are in English
B. it helps them in their work
C. English is spoken in their office
D. they want to go abroad
32. According to the writer _________.
A. English is useful only for teenagers
B. English is popular all over the world
C. only adults learn English
D. no children like to learn English
33. In America or Australia many school children study _________.
A. such foreign languages as French, German, and Spanish
B. their own language and no foreign language
C. English as a foreign language
D. English and mathematics only
34. Most people learn English by _________.
A. hearing the languages in the office
B. talking with foreigners
C. watching videos only
D. working hard on their lessons
35. Many boys and girls learn English because _________.
A. they are forced to learn it B. they have to study their own languages
C. it is included in their study courses D. English can give them a job
VIII. Complete the second sentence in each pair so that it has similar meaning to the first sentence.
36. He didn’t get the job. He had all the necessary qualifications.
=> In spite _____________________________________________________________________________
37. The team plays on the left. The team has never won the championship.
=> The team ___________________________________________________________________________
38. We will get lost because we don’t have a map.
=> If _________________________________________________________________________________
39. Scuba-diving is not really my cup of tea. (interested)
=> I __________________________________________________________________________________
40. If you ask me well in advance, I’ll be willing to work overtime.
=> Provided that ________________________________________________________________________
Lời giải chi tiết
24. are assessed
36.of having all the necessary qualifications, he didn’t get the job.
Hoặc: of the fact that he had all the necessary qualifications, he didn’t get the job.
37.which plays on the left has never won the championship.
Hoặc: that plays on the left has never won the championship.
38.we had a map, we wouldn’t get lost.
39.am not interested in scuba-diving.
40.asked me well in advance, I’ll be willing to work overtime.