Work in pairs. Discuss the following questions. (Làm việc từng đôi. Thảo luận những câu hỏi sau.)
1. Do you think whales are fish? Why (not)?
2. Why do people keep hunting whales?
1. No. Whales are not fish; they are mammals because they raise their young ones on milk.
2. Because whales can produce food, oil. leather and other products for man.
WHILE YOU LISTEN
Click tại đây để nghe:
Whales are mammals that lives in the water. Some whales are huge. The blue whale, for example, grows to 30 meters in length and over 200 tons in weight. It is the largest animal that has ever lived on earth. Whales may also be the most intelligent animals in the ocean.
Whales like to feed in the cold oceans where there is a lot of krill - their favorite food. Cold waters in the North and South Atlantic Ocean and the North and South Pacific are good feeding grounds for whales. Some whales are known to migrate into warm waters to bear their calves.
Whale populations decrease quickly due to heavy hunting pressure. Conservation groups have asked the International Whaling Commission to stop most whaling. However, Native American hunters, such as the Eskimos, are still allowed to hunt a limited number of whales to feed their communities. If no effective measures were taken to protect whale, these wonderful animals would disappear forever.
Task 1: Listen to some information about whales and dccide whether the following statements are true(T) or lalse(F).(Nghe một số thông tin về cá voi và quvết định những câu sau đúng(T) hay sai(F).)
1. The whale is the third largest animal that has ever lived on Earth.
2. Whales are said to be the most intelligent animals in the ocean.
3. Some whales are known to move into warm waters to give birth.
4. Whales are in danger because of the increase in population of other sea animals.
5. Some people are still killing whales for food.
1. F 2. T 3. T 4. F 5. T
Task 2: Listen again and then answer the following questions. (Nghe lại và sau đó trả lời các câu hỏi sau.)
Click tại đây để nghe:
1. What is the length and weight of the blue whale?
2. Why do whales like to feed in the cold oceans?
3. According to the listening passage,what are the food feeding grounds for world?
4. What is the main reason for the decrease in whale populations ?
5. What have convervation groups asked the International Whaling Comission to do?
6. What would happen if we didn't take any measures to protect whales?
1. A blue whale can grow to 30 meters in length and over 200 tons in weight.
2. Because there's a lot of krill there, their favouriote food.
3. Cold waters in the North and South Atlantic Ocean and the North and South Pacific Ocean are their good feeding grounds.
4. Heavy hunting is the main reason for the decrease in the whale population.
5. They have asked the International Whaling Commission to stop most whaling.
6. If we didn’t take any measure to protect whales, they would disappear forever soon.
AFTER YOU LISTEN
Work in groups. Talk about whales, using the following cues. (Làm việc theo nhóm. Nói về cá voi, dùng các từ gợi ý sau.)
their length and weight
their feeding grounds and food
the reasons for protecting whales
Whales are very big. They’re the largest sea animals. They’re about 30 metres long and weigh about 200 tons. Their feeding grounds are in cold waters in the North ind South Atlantic and the North and South Pacific Oceans because in these water currents there's a lot of krill- their favourite food. Now, Conservation Groups are irying to protect whale population from being exiinct.