Study the information in the table below and write a composition about the Sahara Desert. (Nghiên cứu thông tin ở bản dưới đây và viết nội bài luận về sa mạc Sahara.)
- largest desert in the world
- in northern Africa
- extends from the Atlantic Ocean eastward past the Red Sea to Iraq
- lies largely in Morocco. Algeria. Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Mauritania, Mali. Niger and Sudan
- total area: more than 9,065.000 sq km
- 1,610 km wide and about 5,150 km long from east to west
- arid land, dry climate (moisture is almost totally absent), very hot in summer and very cold in winter
- few oases exist
- sandy land and large dunes of sand
- tableland with an average elevation from 400 to 500 m
Trees and animals
- few forms of animal and vegetable life
- main trees: cactus, the date palm, and a form of acacia
- main animals: gazelle, antelope, fox, jackal, camel
The Sahara Desert, the largest desert in the world, is located in the northern Africa and occupied approximately 10 percent of the African continent
From the Atlantic Ocean in the west, the Sahara Desert stretches across Africa to the Red Sea and down to the highlands of Ethiopia, covering an area of 9,100 000 square kilometres, 1,610 kilometres wide and about 5,150 kilometres long from east to west.
The Sahara is one of the hottest region in the world, with arid land, and dry climate. In the hottest months, temperatures can rise over 50°c, and temperatures can fall below freezing point in winter. A single daily variation is from -0,5° c to 37,5°c. The Sahara is also extreme windy, which creates dust devils which can make the temperatures even hotter.
The surface of the desert ranges from large areas of sand dunes to stone plateaus, gravel plains, dry valleys and salt flats. People, can find some tablelands with an average elevation from 400 to 500 metres. Very few forms of animal and vegetable life can be seen in the Sahara. Plants and animals of the Sahara are more threatened by desiccation than the fauna and flora in other parts. The main trees can be seen are cactus, date palm and a form of Acacia.
In the vast area of sand and wind, people can find some species of mammals such as desert antelopes, gazelle, fox and jackal. Besides, there are some species of birds and reptiles.
The Sahara Desert is not well-protected. Unless people take appropriate measures to preserve, the flora and fauna of the Sahara is critically threatened with extinction.