Work ill pairs. Look at the picture. Ask and answer the question. What do you know about the organization in the picture?
❖ Before You Listen
Work ill pairs. Look at the picture. Ask and answer the question. What do you know about the organization in the picture? (Làm việc từng đôi. Nhìn hình.Hỏi và trả lời câu hỏi. Em biết gì về tổ chức trong hình?)
A. What do you know about the building on the picture?
B. It's the headquarters of the United Nations in New York.
A. That's right. When and where was it established?
B. It was established in San Francisco, USA, in 1945 when World War II ended.
A. How many countries were Ihc UN first comprised of?
B. 51 countries.
A. What was the UN established for?
B : It was established for the world peace, friendly relations among nations and defense of human rights.
❖ While You Listen
Task 1: Listen to the first part of the passage and circle the best answer A, B,C or D to the following questions. (Nghe phần đầu ah đoạn văn và khoanh câu trả lời đúng nhất A,B, C hoặc D cho những câu hỏi sau.)
1. When was the UN established?
A. In 1954 B. In 1459 C. In 1945 D. In 1594
2. What was not mentioned as one of the world situations when the UN were established?
A. World War II ended.
B. Millions of people died.
C. Destructions were found everywhere.
D. Many people became homeless.
3. How many main goals were set by the UN?
A. 2 B. 3 C. 4 D. 5
1.C 2. D 3.C
In 1945 leaders from 51 countries met in San Francisco, California and organized the United Nations (often called the UN , World War II had just ended. Millions of people had died, and there was destruction everywhere.
People hoped they could build a future of world peace through this new organization.
The United Nations has four main goals and purposes.
1. To work together for international peace and to solve international problems;
2. To develop friendly relations among nations;
3. To work together for human rights for everyone of all races, religions, languages, and of both sexes; and
4. To build a centre where nations can work together for these goals. Today, almost every country in the world is a member of the UN. Each country has signed an agreement that says:
- All members are equal.
- All members promise to solve international problems in a peaceful way.
- No member will use force against another member.
- All members will help the UN in its actions.
- The UN will not try to solve problems within countries except to enforce international peace.
Task 2: Listen to the second part of the passage and fill in die missing words. (Nghe phần hai của đoạn văn và điền những từ thiếu.)
• All members are equal.
• All members promise to (1)…………in a peaceful way.
• No member will use force against another member.
• All members will help (2)………….in its actions.
• The UN will not try to solve problems within countries except to enforce international peace.
Obviously, the United Nations has not been completely successful (3)……….There have been several wars since 1945. However, the organisation has helped bring peace to some countries that were (4)………... It has helped people who left their countries because of wars. It has helped brine (5)………..to colonies.
1. solve international problems 2. the UN 3. in its goals
4. at war 5. independence.
❖ After You Listen
Work in groups. List as many as possible the names of the international organizations you've known so far. (Liệt kê danh sách tên những tổ chức quốc tế càng nhiều càng tốt cho tới bây giờ.)
A : Do you know the names of international organizations?
B: Sure. It's FAO.
C : What does ii stand for?
B : It’s Food and Agriculture Organization.
B : Another one is UNESCO. It's the United Nations Educational, Scientific, Cultural Organization).
A : I know one more. It’s WB (the World Bank).
C: It’s ILO (International Labour Organization).
B : It’s IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency).
A : And it’s IMF (International Monetary Fund).
C : It's UNHCR, (the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugee).
D : It’s WTO (World Trade Organization).