Listen to the passage about the changes of families in Westerm countries during the last two centuries and decide if the following statements are true (T) or false (F).
TEST YOURSELF A
Listen to the passage about the changes of families in Westerm countries during the last two centuries and decide if the following statements are true (T) or false (F). (Nghe đọan văn về những sự thay đổi gia đình ở các nước Tây phương trong hai thể kì qua, và quyết định những câu nói sau đúng (T) hay sai (F).)
1. Families in the Western world have changed very much in the last 200 years.
2. Before the 19th century, people usually got married because they were in love.
3. In the 19th century, a marriage joined two families, not just two people.
4. Later, people realized that education was necessary for a good life.
5. Today many parents want to have fewer children and take care of their health and give them an education.
1.T 2. F 3. F 4 T 5.T
Families in the Western world have changed greatly during the last two centuries. Social scientists say that this change in the family is one of the important changes from a traditional society to a modem society.
Before the 19th century, families usually arranged marriages for their children. Young people did not decide who they wanted to marry. After they got married, they usually had a lot of children. In the 19lh century, most young people could not choose the person they wanted to marry. A marriage joined two people and not two families. Two people could get married because they love each other; not just because their families wanted them to marry. At the same time, parents began to realize that they had to take very good care of their children. Before this, most people did not go to school. The family members all worked together at home. Later, people realized that education was necessary for a good life.
Today many parents think that they should have fewer children so they could give each one a good life. It is important for a mother and a father to spend as much time as possible with they children. Parents should take care of their health and try to give them an education. Home is a safe, warm place for all the family members.
Read the passage and then answer the questions. (Đọc đoạn văn và sau đó trả
lời câu hỏi.)
Chúng ta có thể giao tiếp không chỉ bằng lời nói mà còn bằng ngôn ngữ thân thể. Ngôn ngữ thân thể bao gồm dáng điệu, nét mặt và cử chỉ. Vì ngôn ngữ thân thể rất quan trọng, các bạn sẽ muốn biết ngôn ngữ thân thể của các bạn đang nói gì và cũng như làm thế nào giải thích ngôn ngữ thân thể của người khác. Sau đây là một vài thí dụ của ngôn ngữ thân thể và ý nghĩa của nó. Nếu dáng điệu của các bạn ủ rũ và đầu các bạn cúi xuống, điều này có nghĩa các bạn đang buồn hoặc thiếu tự tin. Nếu dáng điệu các bạn thẳng nhưng thoải mái, các bạn đang biểu lộ sự tự tin và lòng hiếu khách hay thân thiện. Mỉm cười là dấu hiệu của sự thân thiện và quan tâm. Nhưng đôi khi người ta mỉm cười chỉ vì lịch sự. Để hiểu ý nghĩa của nét mặt người khác, hãy chú ý ánh mắt của họ. Sự thân thiện và quan tâm được thể hiện khi ánh mắt của một người nhìn vào mắt của bạn và sau đó nhìn nơi khác rồi nhìn lại bạn. Một người không nhìn nơi khác biểu lộ sự thách thức. Một người không nhìn vào bạn thể hiện sự thiếu quan tâm hay nhút nhát. Những cử chỉ của bàn tay có thể có nghĩa người đó chú ý đến cuộc đối thoại. Nhưng những cử động được lặp đi lặp lại - như gõ cây bút chì hay nhịp chân - thường có nghĩa người đó hoặc không kiên nhẫn hoặc nôn nóng. Hãy tránh xa người chỉ vào các bạn khi nói chuyện. Người đó có thể giận bạn hay cảm thấy hơn bạn.
1. How can we communicate?
2. What types of body language are mentioned?
3. What could it mean if your posture is slumped and your head is down?
4. How do you know a person who is expressing a challenge or lack of interest or is shy?
5. Why should you stay away from someone who points at you while talking with you?
1. We can communicate not only through words but also through body language.
2. Body language includes our posture, facial expressions and gestures.
3. If your posture is slumped and your head is down, this could mean you are sad or you lack confidence.
4. A person who doesn't look at you is expressing lack of interest or is shy. And a person who doesn’t look away is expressing a challenge.
5. Because that person might he angry with you or feels superior to you.
A. Circle the correct answer (A or B, C, D) to complete the letter. (Khoanh câu trả lời đúng (A hoặc B, C, D) để hoàn chỉnh lá thư.)
Thank you for your letter, which arrived yesterday. As I’m sure you can imagine, we (1) ………….very busy recently, having just moved into our new house. We are slowly settling in, although it (2)………………a long time before everything is finished. Jack is putting down the living room carpet at the moment, and tonight we (3)………….a house-warming party. I was sorry to hear you couldn’t come. If we had told you earlier, you (4)………….your mother's visit. You said in your letter that you’d like to visit us in the summer. I’m sure we (5)……………all the things we want to do in the house by then. We (6) …………..exactly the kind of carpet we want to put upstairs, and we are going to buy it tomorrow.
Keep in touch. Give our regards to Peter.
(1) A. are B. will be C. have been D. had been
(2) A. is B. was C. has been D. will be
(3) A. will have B. are having C. have D. have had
(4) A. could have put off C. can have put off
B. will have put off D. had put off
(5) A. would have finished C. have finished
B. will have finished D. had finished
(6) A. saw B. will see C. are seeing D. have seen
1.C 2. D 3. B 4. A 5.B 6. D
B. Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it has the same meaning as the original sentence. (Hoàn chỉnh mỗi câu sau bằng cách nào đó để nó có cùng nghĩa như câu gốc.)
1. “What did you do before working for this company, John?” asked Lan.
2. “I’ll come to see you next Sunday,” Bill said to you.
3. “I’m sorry I didn’t ring you earlier,” Tom said to you.
Tom apologized for……………………………………..
4. “It was nice of you to give me the present. Thank you,” Miss White said to Peter.
Miss White thanked…………………………………………………
1. Lan asked John what he had done before working for the company.
2. Bill promised to come 10 see me ihe nexi Sunday.
3. Tom apologized for not having rung / rinsing me earlier.
4. Miss White lhanked Peter for giving her a present.
Write a letter of about 150 words to your pen pal, telling him / her about your family. Use I he guidelines below. (Viết lá thư khoảng 150 từ cho một người bạn tâm thư, kể cho anh/cô ấy về gia đình của em. Dùng những lời hướng dẫn dưới đây.)
• Give the number of your family members, theừ names, ages and jobs.
• How do they share the housework?
• How do they behave?
• What are their hobbies?
• What do you like about each of them?
Dear Bill, .
I’m writing to tell you something about my family as requested in your last letter.
There are four people in my family: my parents, my younger sister and I. My clad is forty-nine and my mom is four years younger. My younger sister is ten years old. My dad works for a trade company and my mom is a hank clerk. My younger sister is in Grade Five. Both my parents work from 7:30 am to 5 pm. every weekday. Sometimes they have to work overtime at night and go away home on business. Despite being busy with their work, my parents try to spend as much time for the family as they can.
My mother is a caring person: always getting up early in the morning to prepare breakfast for everyone. My dad is always willing to give a hand with the housework such as cleaning the floor or ironing clothes.
As I'm in the final year at the secondary school and under study pressure, my parents let me have a lot of time for my study. However, I try to help my mom and dad with the household chores. My main responsibility is taking out the garbage, laying the table for meals and helping my younger sister with her study when I have time.
We're a closely-knit family. We always share our feelings, joys or sorrows, with one another and help to solve problems whenever any comes up. We always feel happy and safe in my parents' loving hands.
Stop for now and be sure to give me some lines about your family. too
Give my regards to all members in your family.