Look at the newspaper cuttings from the future, and say what will have happened by the end of the 21th century.
Task 1: Look at the newspaper cuttings from the future, and say what will have happened by the end of the 21th century. (Nhìn vào những mẩu tin cắt ở báo về tương lai, và nói những gì sẽ xảy ra trước cuối thế kỉ 21.)
- By the end of the 21st century, Chinese astronauts will have landed on Mars.
- By the end of the 21st century. there will bave been several cities on the moon with a population of over hundreds of thousands.
- By the end of the 21st century, the common cold will have ended because scientists have found a cure for it.
- By the end of the 21st century, many peole will have lived up to the age of more than one hundred, even to 150.
Task 2: Work in pairs. Which of these predictions are likely / unlikely to happen? Give at least two reasons for each. (Làm việc từng đôi. Lời tiên đoán nào trong những lời này có thể xảy ra/có thể không? Cho ít nhất hai lí do cho mỗi tiên đoán.)
- I think it’s very unlikely that by the end of the 21st century Chinese astronauts will have landed on Mars, because it is too far from the earth.
- developments in science and technology
- living standards improved
- cures for fatal diseases found
- too far
- no water
- thin atmosphere
- too costly
- too cold/hot
- more diseases
- just impossible
1. I think it's likely that people will be living longer thanks to improved living standards and to the inventions of modern and effective medicines and cures.
2. I think it's unlikely that by the end of the 21st century people will be living to the age of 100 or more, even to 150, because there will be more and more fatal and dangerous diseases and the living environment will be more toxic and harmful for man. What’s more it is the threat of terrorism.
3. In my opinion, it's unlikely man will travel to Mars or Jupiter by the end of the 21st century, because at present man cannot know for sure anything about these planets and they are very far from our earth and loo costly as well.
Task 3: Work in groups. Make some more predictions about what life will be like one hundred years from now. (Làm việc từng nhóm. Cho một vài tiên đoán nữa về CUỘC sống sẽ ra sao trong 100 năm nữa.)
A. I think it’s very likely that life will be easier and more comfortable one hundred years from now thanks to the great developments in Science and technology.
B. But the living environment will be much worse because of the growing rate of pollution, unless there are no appropriate measures for it.
C. What’s more man's life is likely to set more unstable and at risk of being removed due to the uncxpeclcd changes of the earth's climate. And the global wanning has been becoming the most fatal threat 10 man with deadly burnine-hot droughts and terrible floods in some parts in ihe world.
D. Simultaneously, some seriously deadly diseases have happened such as AIDS, and menial diseases are threatening man’s life expectancy.
A. Personally, in spite of the present underlying dangers, we are strongly confident that man's life in hundred years from now will probably be much easier once the whole mankind is aware of the benefits of co-operating for the common good.