Exercise 1 : Last week you met Thuan, a friend you hadn't seen for a long time. Look at the list of things he said to you, then tell another friend what he said. Use reported speech. (Tuần rồi em gặp Thuan, một người bạn từ lâu em không gặp. Nhìn vào danh sách những việc anh ấy nói với em, sau đó kể cho một người hạn khác những gì anh ấy nói. Dùng lời tường thuật.)
1. I’m going to work in Ho Chi Minh City next July.
2. I work for a big company.
3. I’m their marketing manager.
4. The company has opened an office in Ho Chi Minh City.
5. It has been very successful.
6. I have been chosen to run an office in District 5.
7. How long have you been learning English?
8 . I don’t have much time to enjoy myself.
9. I hope you will come and visit me in Ho Chi Minh City.
10. I hope I will be successful in Ho Chi Minh City.
Tell your friend what Thuan said:
1. Thuan said he worked for a big company.
2. Thuan said he was their marketing manager.
3. Thuan said the company had opened an office in Ho Chi Minh City.
4. Thuan said it had been very successful.
5. Thuan said he had been chosen to run an office in District 5.
6. Thuan asked me how long I had been learning English.
7. Thuan said he didn’t have much time to enjoy himself.
8. Thuan hoped I would come and visit him in Ho Chi Minh City.
9. Thuan hoped he would be successful in Ho Chi Minh City.
Exercise 2: Lan was angry with Tung. Tuan tried 10 help them get back together, and talked to Lan for Tung. Read the dialogue and complete the conversation Tuan had with Tung. (Lan giận Tung. Tuan cố gắng giúp họ trở lại vối nhau, và nói với Lan thay cho Tung. Đọc bài dối thoại và điền bài nói chuyện của Tuan với Tung.)
Tuan and Lan:
Tuan: Lan. Tung asked me to talk to you.
Lan: I don’t want to speak to him any more.
Tuan: Look, Lan, Tune is really upset.
Lan: I’m upset, too.
Tuan: Will you just let me tell you his side of the story?
Lan: I’m not interested. He promised to go to the cinema but he didn't turn up. I don't want to see him again.
Tuan: But Lan, his motorbike broke down.
Lan: He has got a phone, hasn't he?
Tuan: But that’s the point. He tried to phone you many times but he couldn’t get through.
Lan: I don’t believe he did.
Tuan: Yes, he did. He came to my house. Do you believe me?
Lan: OK. I’ll talk to him later. I must be going now otherwise I’ll be late for school.
Tuan: Thanks, Lan. Tung will be really happy to know you forgive him.
Tuan and Tung:
Tung: What did she say?
Tuan: She said (1) she didn’t want to talk to vou.
Tung: Well, what did she say when you told her I was really upset?
Tuan: She said she (2)………….too, so I asked her to let me tell her your side of the story, she said she (3)……………..because you (4)………but you (5) …………. She said she (6)………….again.
Tung: Did you explain about my motorbike?
Tuan: Yes, and she was very sarcastic. She said she didn't believe you had phoned her. Then I told her you had tried many times but you couldn’t get through, but she said (7)……….. Then I told her you had come to my house and asked if she believed me. She said ‘OK’ and she said (8)………. Then she said (9)………….
Tung: Thanks, Tuan. I really owe you one.
Tuan: That's all right.
2. was upset
3. was not interested
4. had promised to go to the cinema
5. hadn't turned up
6. didn’t want to see you
7. didn’t believe you had tried
8. she would talk to you later
9. she had to go otherwise she would be late for school.