Exercise 1. Use the correct present tense forms of the verbs in brackets in the story below. The first one has been done for you as an example, Exercise 2. Complete the sentences by putting the verbs into the past simple or past progressive.
E. LANGUAGE FOCUS
Exercise 1. Use the correct present tense forms of the verbs in brackets in the story below. The first one has been done for you as an example.
(Sử dụng dạng thì hiện tại đơn đúng của các động từ trong ngoặc ở câu chuyện bên dưới. Động từ đầu tiên đã được làm sẵn làm ví dụ cho bạn.)
The story is about a girl called Little Red Riding Hood who (0. live) lives with her mother. Little Red Riding Hood’s grandmother(1. invite)______her to her cottage, so one fine day she (2. set)______off to visit her. The little girl (3. get)______ready,(4. wave)______goodbye to her mother and (5. promise)______to be careful. On her arm she (6. carry)______a basket which (7. contain)______a cake her mother (8. bake)______specially. It (9. be)______a lovely spring; morning, the sun (10. shine)______and the birds (ll. sing)______feeling happy that the winter (12. be)______over.
||8. has baked
||10. is shining
||11. are singing
Exercise 2. Complete the sentences by putting the verbs into the past simple or past progressive.
(Hoàn thành câu bằng cách chia các động từ ở thì quá khứ đơn hoặc quá khứ tiếp diễn.)
Do you like this picture? My uncle______it. (paint)
- Do you like this picture? Mv uncle painted it.
We______lunch when we______the news, (have, hear)
- We were having lunch when we heard the news.
1. He______his arm when he______football, (break, play)
2. Julia______her first novel when she______19 years old. (write, be)
3. I______on the computer when the fire______out. (work, break)
4. When it______to rain, they______through the forest, (start, walk)
5. He______us about his marriage when we……afternoon tea. (tell, have)
6. Sorry, I_____to you. I______ about something else, (not listen, think)
7. I______you last night, but you______I What______you (phone, not answer, do)
8. Mary______her glasses at the time, so she______what kind of car the man______(not wear, not notice, drive)
1. broke/ was piavina
2. wrote/ was
3. was working/ broke
4. started/ were walk in a
5. told/ were having
6. didn't listen/ was thinkins
7. phoned/didn't answer/ were... doing
8. was not wearing/ didn't notice/ was driving
Exercise 3. Write the sentences, putting the verbs in each sentence into the past simple or the past perfect.
(Viết câu, chia động từ trong mỗi câu ở thì quá khứ đơn hoặc quá khứ hoàn thành.)
When the police (arrive), the car (go).
- When the police arrived, the car had gone.
1. They (eat) everything by the time I (arrive) at the party.
2. When I (find) my purse, someone (take) the money out of it.
3. By the time I (get) into town, the shops (close).
4. When they (get) to the station, the train (leave).
5. By the time you (get) her letter,, she (arrive) in Paris.
6. The police (pay) no attention to Clare’s complaint because she (phone) them so many times before.
7. I (go) to the post office to ask about my package, but they (say) that it (not arrive) yet.
8. When I (look) at the new dress for half an hour, I (ask) how much it (cost)
1. had been/ arrived
2. found/ had taken
3. got/ had closed
4. got/ had left
5. got/ had arrived
6. paid/ had phoned
7. went/ said/ hadn't arrived
8. had looked/ asked/ cost