I've known James for 25 years. We first met when he moved to my town. He went to a different school but we became friends because he lived next door to me. We've know each other since then, but we haven't kept in touch all that time... We lost contact with each other when I moved to Scotland in the 1970s for my job... 1 didn't go to James' wedding but he came to mine... And now? Well, I ve been living here in Brighton since 99, and these days I see James about once a week, usually in the park where I walk my dog, or in the pub for lunch with another friends that we’ve known for about the same length of time. We haven't been doing that for very long but it’s good to get all of us together.
Listen and complete the sentences
(Nghe và hoàn thành các câu.)
1. They’ve known each other for………………. .
A. 25 years
B. 35 years
C. 45 years
D. 55 years
2. They became friends because they…………….
A. went to a different school
B. lived in the same city
C. went to the same school
D. lived next door to each other
3. They lost contact with each other when one of them………….
A. moved to England
B. moved to Scotland
C. changed his school
D. changed his house
4. They've been living here in Brighton since
5. They did not see each other……………
A. in the park
B. at lunch time
C. at James’ wedding
D. in the pub
I was invited by my neighbours to attend their son's birthday party last Saturday evening. It was not an ordinary celebration. The young couple had been childless for ten years and so they were thrilled to have a child after they had virtually given up.
I had decided to bring my camera to take some photographs of the happy family. The birthday cake was displayed prominently in the middle of the sitting room. Little John, the birthday boy, was all excited and wanted to leave his finger prints on the cake. The relatives and friends began to arrive with their presents wrapped in colourful boxes.
At exactly 8 p.m., it was declared that the cake would be cut. The boy was dressed in a smart, brand-new outfit and looked like a little prince. The candles were blown out and the food began to arrive. The host and his wife moved around to make sure that everyone was having a good time. Little John seemed to know his important role in the party and kept grinning all the time. He did not enjoy the hugs or kisses from the guests very much as he was now only interested in the toys he had just received.
The party came to an end at about 10.30 p.m. I went home feeling that it had been a delightful evening and looking forward to the next day to have the film developed.
Chiều thứ bảy vừa qua, tôi được vợ chồng người láng giềng mời dự tiệc sinh nhật con trai của họ. Đó không phải là một lễ kỉ niệm thông thường. Cặp vợ chồng trẻ không có con 10 năm sau khi họ cưới nhau, do đó, họ rất phấn khích khi có một đứa con sau khi họ gần như bỏ cuộc. Tôi quyết định mang theo máy ảnh để chụp vài tấm ảnh của gia đình hạnh phúc. Bánh sinh nhật được bày nổi bật ở giữa phòng khách, bé John, cậu bé sinh nhật hôm nay, vô cùng háo hức và muốn in những ngón tay của mình lên bánh kem. Họ hàng và bạn bè bắt đầu đến với những món quà trong những hộp sặc sỡ sắc màu.
Đúng 8 giờ tối, người ta tuyên bố cắt bánh kem. Cậu bé mặc bộ quần áo giày mũ mới toanh, lịch sự và trông giống một hoàng tử nhỏ. Nến được thổi tắt và thức ăn bắt đầu được dọn ra. Người chủ tiệc và vợ đi xung quanh để chắc chắn mọi người đang vui vẻ. Bé John dường như biết vai trò quan trọng của mình trong bữa tiệc và luôn cười toe toét. Cậu không thích những cái ôm ghì hay những nụ hôn của khách lắm vì giờ đây cậu chỉ chú ý đến những đồ chơi cậu vừa nhận được.
Bữa tiệc kết thúc khoảng 10 giờ 30 tối. Tôi về nhà với cảm giác đó là một bữa tiệc tuyệt diệu và mong đến ngày hôm sau để đem phim đi rửa.
Read the passace about a birthday and then answer the following questions.
(Đọc đoạn văn về một buổi tiệc sinh nhật và sau đó trả lời những câu hỏi dưới đây.)
1. Why was the birthday party in the passage not an ordinary celebration?
2. What did the writer bring a camera to the party for?
3. How was the birthday boy dressed?
4. Why didn't he enjoy the hugs or kisses from the guests very much?
5. How did the writer fell about the birthday party and what did he look forward to after it?
1. Because they had been childless for 10 years after they were married.
2. To take some photographs of the happy family.
3. The boy was dressed in a smart, brand-new outfit and looked like a little prince.
4. Because he was interested in the toys.
5. He felt that it was delightful and looked forward to the next day to have the films developed.
III. PRONUNCIATION AND GRAMMAR
a. Listen and put tick (✓) in the right box, paying attention to the pronunciation of the underlined part of the word.
(Lắng nghe và đánh dấu (✓) vào hộp bên phải, chú ý đến cách phát âm của phần gạch chân của từ đó.)
b. Complete the sentences, using the riaht form (base, full or passive) of the infinitive in brackets.
(Hoàn thành câu, bằng cách sử dụng, các hình thức bên phải (cơ bản, chủ động hoặc bị động) của động từ nguyên mẫu trong ngoặc đơn.)
1. It’s a pleasure ______(see) you again after so long.
2._____(be) honest, I’ve never done this type of work before.
3. She agreed ______ (phone) them.
4. I must (pay) the phone bill by tomorrow.
5. They expected ______ (meet) at the airport by the General Director.
6. John hoped ______ (appoint) as headteacher of tile school.
1. It’s a pleasure to see you again after so long.
2. To be honest, I’ve never done this type of work before.
3. She agreed to phone them.
4. I must pay the phone bill by tomorrow.
5. They expected to be met at the airport by the general Director.
6. John hoped to be appointed as headteacher of tile school.
In 120 words, write about your birthday party (or one of your friends’). The following questions might help you.
(Trong 120 từ, viết về bữa tiệc sinh nhật của bạn (hoặc một trong những người bạn của bạn). Các câu hỏi sau đây có thể giúp bạn.)
- Whose birthday party was it?
(Bữa tiệc sinh nhật đó là của ai?)
- Where and when was it held?
(Nó được tổ chức ở đâu và khi nào?)
- What did you do there?
( Bạn đã làm gì ở đó?)
- How did you enjoy?
(Bạn tận hưởng nó như thế nào?)
Lan is one of my best friend. We have many things in common so we often meet and do things together. We live on the same street. It's interesting that her birthday is also in June but a week before mine so we often help each other to celebrate it. Last June we had a very special birthday parties. We didn't have it at home as usual but we had our birthday celebrations at Samson beach during a two week holiday with our parents. We spent the moming swimming and playing on the beach. We had seafood for lunch at the restaurant. In die afternoon we went shopping around the area and bought lots of souvenirs. Though I did not have many presents on my last birthday, but I enjoyed it most of all.