1 Work in groups and discuss these questions. (Làm việc theo nhóm và thảo luận các câu hỏi)
1. At what age should a young person get a jc Give reasons.
A 14 and under
C 19 and over
2. What are the three most important qualities will help a job applicant to get a job? You choose from the following list or come up your own ideas. Give reasons.
3. Which of the following are the top skills that seekers need? Give reasons.
A Working collaboratively in a team
B Communication skills
C Time-management skills
D Problem-solving skills
E Applying new knowledge and skills
2 Present your group's ideas to the class.
Trình bày ý tưởng của nhóm bạn đến lớp.
- In our group we think people should start looking for a job after leaving school at the age of 18. This can be a part-time job or a voluntary one, not necessarily a permanent job. When people start working, they become more responsible for their lives and contribute more to society.
- We all believe that the three most important qualities are reliability, responsibility, and flexibility. Employers really want to find the people who they can rely on. Also, they want their employees to be flexible to adapt well to the ever changing working environment.
- All of the members of my group agree that the necessary skillsforjobseekersare communication, problemsolving,andcollaboration.Whenemployees can communicate with each other, it is easier for them to work together to solve problems.
My name is Harry and I live in Bath, a small beautiful city in the south-west of England. I left school when I was 18, after taking my A levels.
My results were not great, but probably high enough for university.
However, I am not very academic so I decided not to study fora degree.
I thought there would be lots of companies looking for bright school leavers who want to head straight into the world of work through an apprenticeship. Money was also a problem. Although there are tuition loans available and my parents were willing to help me financially,
I didn't want to borrow money and then graduate from university with a huge debt.
I started looking for an apprenticeship and it took me several months to get my first interview. My application was not successful; there were more than 4,000 applicants and only 20 were selected. I realised that apprenticeships were very competitive so I started to look for other jobs. I worked as a barista at coffee shops, I interviewed people on the street, I sold tickets for events, and I was even a human statue at different theme parks and festivals. I was not only enjoying myself, but managed to save more than £2,000.
Then while I was working at one of the music festivals, I had an idea. Why not start up a mobile catering business? Buying a small trailer didn't require a large investment and finding someone to cook was easy. Now I have a team of 15 people, travel to fantastic events around the country, sell delicious food, and then watch people enjoy it. Although I didn't get my ideal apprenticeship in software development or accountancy, I am a successful young entrepreneur.
1 Read the text about the job seeking experiences of Harry, an English school leaver, and decide whether the following statements about it are true (T), false (F), or not given (NG). Tick the correct box.
Đọc văn bản về kinh nghiệm tìm kiếm công việc của Harry, một người Anh vừa ra trường, và quyết định xem các nhận định sau đây về nó là đúng (T), sai (F), hoặc không xác định (NG). Đánh dấu vào ô thích hợp.
1. Harry wanted to go to university, but his A level results were too low.
2. Harry believed that it would be easy to find an apprenticeship because many companies want to recruit bright school graduates.
3. Harry was not successful at his first interview because he didn't prepare well for it.
4. He stopped applying for apprenticeships when he was offered part-time jobs.
5. His parents gave him £200 to buy a trailer to start his mobile catering business.
6. He now employs 15 people who travel with him to different events in the UK.
1.F 2.T 3.NG 4.F 5.NG 6.T
2 Discuss the following questions with a partner.
Do you think you can become successful without a university degree? Do you know any young people who have followed a similar career path in Viet Nam? What can you learn from Harry's job: seeking experience?
Thảo luận các câu hỏi sau đây với một người bạn.
Bạn có nghĩ rằng bạn có thể thành công mà không có một bằng đại học? Bạn có biết bất kỳ người trẻ, những người đã đi theo một con đường sự nghiệp tương tự tại Việt Nam? Những gì bạn có thể học hỏi từ công việc của Harry: tìm kiếm kinh nghiệm?