1.B 2. C 3. C 4. B 5. B
Can you recommend an interesting science-fiction film about artificial intelligence?
Have you seen the film A.I.? It was rated 9 out of 10.
Yes, that was a great film. I saw it last month.
Well, how about the Terminator series? It got the same rating. Have you seen any of them?
I don't think so, but I've heard about them. What are they about?
The Internet evolves into a powerful A.I., Skynet, and sends its robot warriors after the Connor family.
Interesting, but why?
Because it realises that they are a threat to its own survival.
Humans can be a threat to computers?
Well, when machines behave like humans, people start to worry about their own existence and survival.
Unbelievable! So what happens?
People’s attitudes towards intelligent machines
Read a text about people's different attitudes towards intelligent machines. Answer the questions that follow. (Đọc một văn bản về các thái độ khác nhau của người dân đối với máy móc thông minh. Trả lời các câu hỏi phía dưới.)
Rapid advances in robotic applications for domestic and personal use have made intelligent robots become part of our everyc lives. In order to help robot designers and developers to imagine a roadmap for their development in the future, there have been surveys conducted in many countries to stu< people's attitudes towards robots, with a particular focus on domestic use.
Globally, the results show that a large proportion of people in the surveys have a positive attitude towards the idea of having intelligent service robots as small ‘domestic machines’.These machines can be ‘controll and do mainly difficult and repetitive housel tasks such as cleaning, ironing, and cooking A few want robots to be more like friends and have human-like abilities such as the ability t speak and communicate with them. However, these people do not want robots to have human appearance or to substitute humans " child or animal care because they regard the; tasks as unsuitable for machines.
On the other hand, many people have a negative attitude towards robots. They fear ti machine malfunction could lead to harmful and dangerous consequences. The biggest f< is that humans might lose control over robots. All these ideas seem to come from a typical science-fiction scenario where robots get out of control by gaining too much autonomy. Having positive or negative attitudes towards intelligent robots is not related to where the interviewees live. A majority of them are in countries where they have daily contact with robots in various industries or businesses, and see them on TV, in films, or in their immediate environment. Most of them believe that the d robots will become part of our lives will come sooner or later.
- What is the purpose of the surveys on people's attitudes towards robots?
- What do people having positive attitudes towards robots think about them?
- What work do most people not want to assign to robots?
- Why are some people afraid of robots?
- Are you afraid of robots? Why?/Why not?
- To help robot designers and developers to imagine the roadmap for their future development.
- A lot of people think they are small domestic machines that can be controlled. A few want robots to be friends that can speak and communicate with them.
- People don't want robots to look after children or animals.
- Because they fear that malfunctioning robots could be harmful and dangeous, and humans might lose control over them.