Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one, using the words given.
Exereise 1.Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one, using the words given.
1. “We’ll come back again.”
-> They promised to come back again.
2. “You’d better not swim too far from the shore,” the lifeguard said to us.
-> I he lifeguard achisetl us not to swim too far from the shore.
3. “Could you close the window?” John said to Peter.
-> John asked Peter to close the window
4. “You should join the football team, Eric,” said the teacher.
-> The teacher encouraged Eric to join the football team.
5. “I’ll give it to him tomorrow,” John said.
-> John promised to give it to him the next day.
6. “I’d like Lan to become a doctor,” my mum said.
-> My mum wanted Lan to become a doctor.
7. “Remember to lock the door before going to school,” my sister said. My sister
-> My sister reminded me to look the door before going to school.
8. “You should go home and rest for a while,” said the boss.
-> His boss advised him to go home and rest for a while.
Exercise 2.Write the following sentences in reported speech, using the right form of the words given in the brackets.
1. "You should not drink too much beer.” (ADVISE)
-> He advised me not to drink top much beer.
2. “Come and see me whenever you want.” (INVITE)
-> She invited me to come and see her whenever I wanted.
3. “Please don’t smoke in my car.” (ASK)
-> John asked me not to smoke in Ills class.
4. “ Sue, give me your phone number.” (TELL)
-> He told Sue to aive him her phone number.
5. “Don't forget to give the book back to Joe.” (REMIND)
-> He reminded me to give the book back to Joe.
6. “I’ll never do it again.” (PROMISE)
-> He promised not to do it again.
7. “All right. I’ll wait for you.” (AGREE)
-> He agreed to wait for me.
8. “Please, lend me some money.” (ASK)
-> John asked her to lend him some money.